My dragon

Started by Kare, January 06, 2009, 09:30:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kare

If I cant draw out my dragon, is there another way to present instead of using pictures that were already in the internet? (e.g. Dragons in photobucket.com)

Sorry, if its a silly question....

Any website that helps me create a dragon MIGHT do... as long as I'm quite satisfied but i really like it drawn than made-from-web.

Auri

Well, really you have a number of options:

Technically, it's not required to have a picture of your dragon.  Just about everybody does, but the "appearance" section of the Character Directory entry could also be fulfilled by a detailed description.

You could also play with some "makeables", which are pixel-art that is there for you to colour. You can take them into any graphics program and add colours and markings as you see fit.  This page has a few dragons: http://www.neopets.com/~Kiokiru , and I think there are a few people who have templates on this forum, as well. 

You could also join and see if anyone is taking art requests or doing art for gems.  "Adoptables" (generally small pixel-drawings that are all based on the same template) can be pretty cheap and it's not uncommon to see people doing them on a request basis. :)

Hope that helps!

Kare

Okay thnx

It's just that...well I'm sort of jealous of your dragon artworks so it got me nervous xp.

Maia

Hahaha, I know the feeling! xD Speaking as someone who considers themselves mostly RP-based rather than art-based, the artists on this site are kinda awesome. xD But written descriptions work as well! ^^ Heck, my scanner's down, but I don't mind sketching something up for you. : 3 My first... three? main Dragons were drawn by other people before I even attempted it. I just dictated to them and they drew, haha.

Don't let that stop you from joining, though. ^^ While our Dragons may bite... I like to think the members don't... /I'm so lame. xD; The artists on here are also pretty awesome about helping you with drawing if you want to learn. : 3

Tsugi

As was said before, just writing a description or playing with Makeables can work :3 You don't have to be EL FANTASTICO ARTIST or anything like that. And yea, you could always send someone a very detailed description and have them draw a picture for you! If you're in need of that, I'll volunteer, I like to draw other people's dragons :3

Kare

Lol, there's one more thing I find quite depressing to talk about.

I attempted to draw my first dragon and wow, it's really off  xP. However in the gallery, I've noticed they were nearly all digital art. I was quite wondering how's it done? And what program may be best suited.

Sorry if I'm driving you all round the bend. I'll take the blame for it xP.

Em

It's no problem at all, questions are GOOOOD. :3  I can't speak on behalf of *everyone* but I know Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, Flash, and Gimp have been used by some of our members here. I personally stick with Photoshop, as flash doesn't like me much.

Some tutorials:
http://www.dragonclanlands.com/forum/index.php?topic=411.0
http://www.dragonclanlands.com/forum/index.php?topic=2407.0
http://arianagoddess.deviantart.com/art/Lineart-Tutorial-Em-Style-87856989 <-- My cruddy tutorial

Don't be discouraged by the amount of our digital art displayed here. I know for one, My art dump has a LOT of stuff I sketched at work, and Oye, I should show you some of my earlier work. In fact, I bet if I go hunting, we've made a thread.. somewhere here displaying our old art. *buries head in forum, rummaging around*  Well, I can't find it but.. this should be some comfort to you. The first time I used a drawing tablet, I used a 9x11 professional grade one of my teachers, and tried to draw a gryphon. I got this:

Hopefully that at least gets a chuckle out of you.. and I hope I answered your question.

Anduhre | Seth | Jhaded | Zuhne | Lohaki | Calyai | Khysm | Qinae  | Diamante | Estraea | Ekris | Nahende | Rauvi

Kare

It's still good though, i am only around average at sketching dragons but I find colouring it in my computer rather difficult. xP

by the way, where did you guys get those signatures? No offense but I saw some people with basically the same signature, only a change of colour.

Maia

Personally, I only sketch, so don't feel nervous. : 3 I don't have the program to digitally color and frankly, whenever I color in something I draw, I like it less. xD; /needs to learn more.

Also - the images in our signatures are called "adoptables". People make a generic pose and than other people request their Dragon in that pose and the artist customizes it. Adoptables are quite popular around this site, so you'll likely see quite a few of different Dragons in the same pose.

Also - please re-check your application post. On this forum, we register using our Dragon's name, not our own. I can not accept your application until you register your Dragon's name.

Kazo

Quote from: Kare on January 07, 2009, 06:19:10 AM
It's still good though, i am only around average at sketching dragons but I find colouring it in my computer rather difficult. xP

by the way, where did you guys get those signatures? No offense but I saw some people with basically the same signature, only a change of colour.

They're adoptables, so if you're seeing similar pictures with different colors on this forum it is fine. A lot of times, artists around here like to draw/color pictures on a common template. 
Kazo, Yun Hee

Em

Quote from: Kare on January 07, 2009, 06:19:10 AM

Yup, like Crende said, some of them are adoptables. The two similar ones in my siggy with christmas lights were made by Garfy, one of our members, and the center one with the butterfly was made by Cham. That and the ones on christmas gifts were made by Kathy, just to explain a few of them out there. :3  We have several threads up by different members that make them. Some are available for requests and some are available for a few gems.

Anduhre | Seth | Jhaded | Zuhne | Lohaki | Calyai | Khysm | Qinae  | Diamante | Estraea | Ekris | Nahende | Rauvi